January 2007

January 2007

Thursday, March 24, 2011

My sign of spring

First, a disclaimer - these are not my pictures, I took them off the internet.
I have been reading a lot of blogs lately about the first signs of spring, accompanied by beautiful pictures of crocus and daffodils. I admit, I am jealous. Especially since we received an inch of snow yesterday. It could be worse, other areas received more. Considering that one week ago it was 60 degrees and I was cleaning my gardens and now I can't see them, it's a bit depressing.

But here's the thing - my community has another sign of spring apart from the new growth outdoors.  Our true sign of spring is when Rudy's Lakeside Drive-in opens for the season, which it did on March 16th. I usually get out there for lunch on opening day, but it was a pretty raw, cold day so I didn't go.  My husband and I ate dinner there on Monday night - yup - spring is here. My first Texas hot of the season.  A mouth-watering Hoffman hotdog topped with onions and spicey Texas hot sauce!  Okay, so we had to sit in the car to eat so we wouldn't freeze to death, but we could still watch the waves of Lake Ontario come ashore and see the seagulls flying overhead, hoping for a bit of food.  We have a whole summer ahead of us to sit outside and enjoy many more meals from Rudys.
The food isn't the healthiest - mostly deep fried, but the taste can't be beat. We wait patiently through the winter storms anticipating opening day and then we breath a sigh of relief - spring has arrived in Oswego.



11 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie, my first time here, and I'm enjoying myself immensely. I really like the way Spring arrives in Oswego...yum. If Mother Nature won't cooperate, then we have to find alternatives. Rudy's Lakeside Drive-in has an awesome location, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, yes it does have a superb location. You just have to guard your food with your life, the seagulls will swoop down and steal it from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your spring indicator! Here too the roadside restaurants will soon be opening up. No hot sauce unfortunately, PEI's claim to fame is fries 'with the works', a messy concoction of gravy, hamburger, onions and peas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is Dairy Queens for us. They are closed for the winter and have just opened up last week. YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your 1st Year of Blogging ~

    Don't feel bad, last Friday 71 degrees,, beds turned Crocus in bloom, today 4" snow, Crocus buried !
    Well at least (as Bonnie above) Yea!!! Dairy Queen has Re-opened!,,,,lol
    Thanks for stopping by and "Following" the journey~
    oh, by-the-way,,,Sebastian might like to check out Mewsings of Garden Cottage Cats ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angel, I checked out Mewsings of Garden Cottage Cats - I'm sure Sebastian would like it if I could get him to sit still long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am on that lose the last 5 pounds before summer diet and I am so hungry, argh. I came here expecting flowers and I get... french fries. You are trying to sabotage me aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good I too am more than sick of this white stuff..... spring was lovely last week.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum Rudy's looks like the place to be for the first day of the spring season.

    What you didn't take that shot from a helicopter?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jess, I too am trying to lose my winter weight, but I can't say no to Rudys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your comment on my blog, Bonnie. I'm delighted to offer you a little glimpse of Scotland while you count down the days to your trip. And I'm equally delighted to discover your blog - as a gardener I'm always interested to see what the growing experience is in other parts of the world. The impression people often have of Scotland is that it's very cold in winter, but it's actually not as continuously cold as your winter. The Gulf Stream sees to that. Just now we have perfect early spring weather - not that I'm trying to make you jealous!

    ReplyDelete