January 2007

January 2007

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Spring is here, I think. Do I rake or shovel?

I was going to post about the glories of Spring finally arriving, but as I look out my window, I see snow falling.  We've had 2 days of decent weather that I was able to start my garden clean-ups.  Where to start!
Remember that sapsicle picture I posted? It was on a very large maple tree in my back yard. I love that leaf-covered maple tree on hot summer days.  I don't love those same leaves in the Spring.  Especially when it snows so early in the Fall that I don't get them all raked up.  This is the mess I am faced with.  These leaves literally can be rolled up like a mat.  I think I have all my spring bulbs uncovered, some of their leaves were pretty spindly and yellow as they struggled to find some sunlight under the maple leaves.
 
This was taken last week, on one of those nice days. It was pretty chilly out, but the sun was shining bright and the bees and flies were happy and busy. I didn't get my camera in time to capture the 5 bees that were covering these flowers.


This was a pleasant surprise 2 weeks ago. I forgot I planted these little iris last fall.

9 comments:

  1. I never rake leaves, just mulch them and leave them on the garden. They decompose and feed my plants. Spring also comes and goes here, one day sunny and warm the next cold and snow:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too mulch them. I collect them and keep them over winter to deposit back on the beds in spring. My current post talks about Leaf Mold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do mulch my leaves and add them to the garden, but when the leaves are still on the trees and the snows come, mulching ends. By spring, they are wet and slimy. Maple leaves don't decompose, they suffocate anything unfortunate enough to be under them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One does wonder when spring will finally arrive and stay, snow in the air here too... Pretty crocus and iris.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot believe how early we are this year and how late you guys up in NY are! Its incredible the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sort of rake leave and put shove them in areas I wish to cover and mulch. I would like to say it is because I am so garden savvy but mostly, I am lazy and it is an easy mulch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first I was thinking, great leaf mulch! but not so great when they compact and smother everything else. I have the opposite problem, so few trees to produce leaves I get no mulch at all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. those little iris are beautiful, I've got some and just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful flowers. Always nice to have a few surprises in the garden--pleasant ones anyway.

    ReplyDelete