January 2007

January 2007

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Lemon Lavender Shortbread recipe

I haven't posted in a while. Between end of the school-year activities and the current heat wave we're having, I haven't been sitting at my computer. I wanted to share this recipe now that the lavender is in bloom. If it ever cools down, I may consider lighting my oven. This recipe is from the Country Living Gardener magazine.

Lemon Lavender Shortbread
4 sticks (1 lb) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons dried lavender, finely chopped or ground
finely ground zest of 2 lemons

Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the vanilla, flour, and salt. Beat on low speed until well combined. Stir in lavender and lemon. Divide dough evenly into 4 pieces, wrap each in plastic wrap. Press each piece into a flat disc. (This makes it easier to roll out.) Chill at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day.
Heat oven to 300 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove dough from refrigerator and let warm 3 - 4 minutes. Roll out 1 piece at a time on floured surface. Using a cookie cutter dipped in flour, cut out desired shapes and transfer to baking pan. Bake on center rack 15 - 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown.

6 comments:

  1. Bonnie girl I so wish you hadn't posted this recipe .. now I will be craving it the whole weekend and more I have no doubt .. I happen to have a lot of lavender growing as well .. oh dear .. I am in such trouble ! LOL
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. I've made shortbread once and it really is just a feast of butter, but wonderfully decadent.

    How my mother would love you - all these gorgeous flowers. Have you seen the book The Gardens of Scotland? It is published annually and is all about what gardens are open to the public around Scotland. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe! I've made a similar recipe from a mix found at a gourmet kitchen shop and it was addictive- so glad now I can make it for myself (but my husband won't eat it either- as you say, more for me!)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PurestGreen - I have not seen the Gardens of Scotland book. When are the gardens open? I can't decide if I should travel to Scotland in April, which I think would be cold and dreary like where I live but would be a better time to take off work, or at the end of June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my mum makes these, using lavendar from her garden. here's the internet version of the open gardens in scotland, I used to go to a lot of them but recently all my time is taken up with Abbey. http://www.gardensofscotland.org/index.aspx
    maybe we could meet up and go to a garden while you are here?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claire - I would love to tour a Scotland garden with you. Right now it looks like the best time for us to come is right after July 4th. I would love to come the week before, but July 4th is a holiday here and everyone has family picnics during the holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete