January 2007

January 2007

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Monroe County Lamberton Conservatory, Rochester, NY Highland Park

Today I used a vacation day and my daughter and I took a trip to Rochester, NY to Highland Park. There, we visited the Lamberton Conservatory. This was established in 1911 and completely refurbished in 2008. What a wonderful place to spend a chilly, snowy, gray winter day. There were fruit trees blooming - oh my, what a wonderful scent.  I was in heaven!   Enjoy my pictures. I don't know the names of all the plants but I hope you can feel what we felt being there.
This is a small fish pond, also home to a turtle. Do you notice the snowflakes falling outside?


A banana tree, see the wee bananas? They aren't ones we eat.

Cactus room - as we arrived there was a bus load of 2nd graders leaving. I would be very afraid to have them in this room - lots of dangerous looking spikes! There was a large rat tail cactus that I didn't take a picture of, but it was one of the funkiest plants I've seen.  


Put yourselves in our shoes - we climb over a snowbank leaving our car, boots, winter coats, gloves on. We walk into this warm room filled with flowers, color, perfumes. I can see myself living here year round.

I would volunteer to work here in a heartbeat!

This poor  fellow had an infestation of bugs and needed to be trimmed back to get rid of them. Kind of like having lice, huh?

This room with Spanish moss cascading from every tree branch was my favorite.


I love this plant, a Shrimp plant. I've never seen it before. I wonder if anyone ever sneaks little pinches of the plants to take home and root?

Impressive Staghorn fern

More turtles - I hope you enjoyed the tour. We only paid $3 to enjoy this sanctuary. They offer season passes for $10. Believe me - if I lived closer I'd be buying a season pass and spending as much time here as I could - sitting on one of the many benches daydreaming of spring.

9 comments:

  1. What an absolutely gorgeous place to visit. Especially on a cold winter's day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great use of a vacation day. It must have been heaven standing amongst all that greenery and soaking up that warmth. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tremendous way to spend a cold day. Brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the tour and I can almost smell the stocks and freesia....

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful!! fabulous way to spend a cold snowy day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice way to spend the day! Sorry you are still under snow. I'm not sure how I'd manage if I lived in NY now. I grew up in PA, NY and ME and know I can endure it...but even here in VA it's too cold for me right now! I probably need to take some day trips and visit a few indoor gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bonnie. Conservatories are the best thing for a winter day. I love to go and escape to tropical or desert areas in one stop. LOL! Your conservatory is so full of spring like colors now. I like Spanish moss too.I think those who have to put up with it are not as fond of it though. Sort of like our invasive honeysuckle here. ;-) Have fun at the NYC Show and we want pictures! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. $3 for such a show. Beautiful pictures, I can almost smell those flowers.
    I have a shrimp plant but it has yet to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there Bonnie, the environment makes you feel like you have visited us in the tropics, right? I especially like your foto with the snowflakes outside looking in.Great contrast there.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete